2/6/15

easy acai bowl


The simplicity of this acai bowl makes it THE perfect mid-winter breakfast or snack - I can't wait to share it with you! First, a little rationale behind this post:

I am 'teaming up' with April and Mary, two old blog friends, this February, for a sort of kick-start health initiative. In other words - we are cheering each other on to be healthier. Eating, exercising - and it translates into thinking, I swear! Anyway, with that in mind, I am so excited about this easy acai bowl I whipped up last Sunday. I know I gush a lot on here but this recipe is PERFECT, if you are into smoothies/juicing/overall health foods. It is not only simple but so surprisingly flavorful. So I'm pretty sure this is going to be my breakfast for the next few weeks!

The ingredients (serves 2): 


Prep your ingredients. Once you have your fruits, cut them in fine slices on a cutting board. Some of these will be your garnish. This is close to the exact amount of fruit I used and even had some leftovers. You can also freeze the fruit to make your acai bowl colder or even icier. Luckily, I had some frozen banana in the freezer and it was the perfect touch to the acai mix.

Use one cup of the Sambazon acai mix, add a banana, and 1/2 cup of fruit. I use a NutriBullet but a typical blender is fine - your acai should look dark, rich and thick once it is blended. I love the deep maroon color of the acai - it made me want to use a clear bowl just for the show of it :)


Lastly, add your garnish.


I drizzled a teeeny bit of honey and flax seed (not pictured) on the top for a little extra sweetness. It really makes a minimal difference, so depending on your goals you can substitute whatever you'd like. Some other ideas that I'd like to try in the future: sliced almonds, chai seeds, quinoa, even nibs of chocolate :) 


This is my second ever acai bowl - the first time I ever had one was in California (and it was beautiful!) but I actually think mine was better :) It is just so flavorful, and honestly the only mildly unhealthy thing is the honey. It is the kind of snack that leaves you with a satisfied 'full but light' feeling. I love the possibilities and the combinations you can do. Let me know if you decide to use it and what types of adjustments you make on the recipe :) Hope this little taste of summer brightens your February!

ciao! xo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!