6/5/15

did instagram change blogging?

image via 

In the last year, I’ve grown really attached to the Instagram app for managing my photos and other ‘moments’ I want to keep highly accessible. It’s very clear to see the app’s rise in other popular media - when do you not see that little rounded camera symbol? When was the last time you took a photo with your phone and not tinkered around with a fllter? I’ve noticed that with myself, I’ve grown more and more interested in using instagram as my top ‘social’ media outlet, even though it really literally only offers a snapshot into whomever we are following. Do I like that design better? Yes. It’s simpler and efficient. But with all social media, it is easier in this day and age to overshare - and visuals are what all of our eyes go to first. My big concern, however, is that instagram took some of the integrity out of blogging. Not all, but some.

I began blogging in 2010 before Instagram was a popular platform. I have always been weary about promoting my blog on social media for privacy reasons,  but all at once instagram and blogging have, in a way, become deeply intertwined. I think I’ve noticed this in a sharper way because my blog has a heavy foundation in photos. If I publish a ‘peek’ on instagram, it almost feels like I am giving away my content. Captions are another huge, yet sometimes overlooked aspect to this shift. I love ‘catching up’ with some of my favorite bloggers by reading their lengthier captions - because seriously, how lengthy can they be on Instagram - paired with one summative snapshot. I think people respond more to pictures and less so to printed text - especially paragraphs (like this!). It’s true - there are more Smartphones than there are blogs. 

In short, I think that Instagram has significantly altered the nature of blogging. Our ‘followers’ are very different from our readers; people who occasionally check up on our feeds may feel like they’ve got enough of the picture (pun intended)!

I asked some of my dear bloggy friends their opinions on this issue; I formed my own opinions before even opening their responses to this question: did instagram change blogging? I have ‘known’ these girls for years now, and am eager to share with you what they think on this, too! Here’s Candice and Jenna!


"Does anyone even read this thing?" I know I've asked myself the question before in regards to my blog. With the rise in social media, especially Instagram, it seems as though the days of reading photo/text heavy posts are beginning to fade. I love Instagram, and personally choose to use it for both personal and blog related content. It's a way to share inspiring and beautiful content, as well as a platform for easy interaction with one's audience. I've even had the chance to meet up with other bloggers I had discovered via Instagram. Technology can be pretty great in that respect. Has blogging changed since Instagram? I would say yes. People enjoy the convenience and brevity of the captioned image, and can easily interact with brands, products, and other people. Should it replace blogging altogether? I would hope not, as I see it co-existing with blogs as an extension of a blogger's branding and aesthetic. Besides, Instagram gives readers an inside look at the little details of one's life, which gives more personality to the voice behind the blog. Everyone wants to feel as though they connect and relate to the bloggers behind their favorite reads. There are certainly benefits to both blogs and Instagram, and in a sense each engages a different audience, obviously with definite crossover. Overall, I enjoy using Instagram, and think it is an effective tool to engage a wider range of readers, as well as a fun way to share moments from one's life.

click to see candice's blog 


At first, Instagram was simply a way to share photos with friends and give quick updates on life. Oh, how things have changed! Instagram has been transformed into THE place to share blog post images, beautifully styled photos, and network with fellow bloggers and creatives. With every blog post I write, I make sure to snap an Instagram worthy photo to share when the blog post goes live. I have found that I have a lot of blog traffic coming from my Instagram when I do that. I've learned that if you have a beautiful Instagram feed, people will be drawn to your blog. You have to make sure to get involved with the Instagram community, though, and participate in photo challenges, hashtags, and engaging with followers and non-followers. It's definitely my favorite social media platform!

click to see jenna's blog | instagram 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!